Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Seriously? October Already?

Wow. So apparently 4 weeks goes by pretty quickly because I blinked and it's the middle of October. Sorry, I distinctly remember saying I was going to get better about posting more often, and well...oops!

Let's see, let's play catch up shall we? Last Saturday I just finished my last ever clinical in long term care at Manor Care, oh that's right folks, I'm a hospital nursing student now. 750's watch out, I'm coming for you and I have no idea what I'm doing. Unit 750 is a medical-surgical unit at TMC, so I'm guessing I'm going to be getting a lot of people post-surgical and delirious from anesthesia. I'm actually really looking forward to the change, and excited to be in the hospital for my clinicals...makes me feel like I'm one step closer. I have to tell you though- as much as I WON'T miss the physicality of the nursing home, there were a few patients who touched my heart, and I really felt like I gave it my all to be fully present for them during the time I was there. Oh but the smells? I won't be missing thoses. Whew.

School is ridiculous, and I'm only in my first semester. I long for the end of the semester. Long for it, dream about it. But in the meantime I'm just trying to take one day at a time and breathing in and out, because really what else can you do?

I passed my first exam (without having to go to remediation, yay!) and already can't believe I have my next one on Monday. I have no idea what I'm doing and feel just as scared for this one, as I did the last one, and I'm pretty sure that I thought I would feel differently after I got the first one knocked out. I guess a little bit of fear isn't a bad thing- keeps me on my toes.

I also have a pharmacy quiz (which really doesn't even try to explain the importance of doing well on the quizzes-they are hard and worth many a point!) on Friday and a Drug Calculations midterm the following Monday. Have I mentioned yet that if you don't get a 90 or higher in that class you fail THE ENTIRE NURSING PROGRAM. And then TMC sucks the 14,000 dollars that I don't have out of my lifeless body. If I could get a grade for worrying I'd be on the honor roll. Sometimes I even worry about worrying (Shocker, I know.) :)

I just have to believe that I am where I am for a reason and that I'm gonna get through, and that there are plenty of people who've done this before me, and there will be plenty of people after. And that gives me comfort. And it's fall, and the weather is nice, and Starbucks has pumpkin spice lattes and so really all is well with the world. :)

Another update soon...I promise.

2 comments:

Schwartz said...

you will get an "A" and then can treat yourself to a pumpkin latte...better yet, I'll treat you to one! love you and miss you! MRS and Ada

Schwartz said...

this blog is seriously neglected while you learn about urine. geez.